Sunday, October 29, 2006

Dear Cobalt,
I feel like I need to be honest with you, and I hate having to write this letter. We've had some good times -- some really good times. From the first time I saw your cousin phosphor, to the time I saw you -- yes you -- on Savvy Minx's Etsy shop and knew I had to have you. And how fast you arrived! And your softness!

It was love. Deep, fast, wonderful love.

But there were problems almost immediately. You're thin. Really thin. And there's nothing wrong with that! I'm just... not used to it. I had to buy special needles for you. But still there were issues. I knit a swatch, I accounted for you and your incredible spi number. And I started, Cobalt, and you was too big. Way too big. And I've tried again -- two other times, which is no small feat with your, well, splitty nature.

No offense.

And I know this last disaster was my fault. I accidentally knit two different lengths on your picot edge and made it all lopsided, and when I tried to fix it -- it just didn't work.

Cobalt: I'm tired. I've tried so hard to make this work but I just can't right now. I've spent too many hours for no product, and I've... well, I've met someone new. She's new and squishy and -- she doesn't require size 000 needles.

Cobalt, I need some space. And I need socks more than I need a challenge right now.

I'll be back, I promise. And I'll be thinking about you until then.

Love,
Emily

*Soon, SAFF report!

No comments: