Friday, October 06, 2006

From Grumperina:

10 knitterly things you might not know about me:

1. I love to knit in public and really, really hope that people will ask me about it.

2. I could talk about knitting for DAYS. Which is why I have this blog. My knitting friends aren't quite at the "yammering non-stop" stage of knitting. Yet.

3. It's very rare that I follow a patten exactly. I'm always changing lengths, yarns, stitch patterns. One of my first projects was an elaborate scarf for a friend of mine: it involved an intarsia biohazard symbol (representative of our college's Ultimate team) and his name, it was going to be lined and there were going to be pockets... Well, this was before I knew about gauge (it's huge), about how stockinette curls, about weaving in ends... I made it, oh, a solid 5/8 of the way through before he annoyed me and I didn't want to make him a scarf anymore. Also, that damn thing was HUGE.

4. I don't think I've ever used the recommended yarn for a project. In fact, I don't even bother to check what a project would cost: I just start looking around for my ideal project-fibre.

5. I hate paying full price for yarn and will shop around for an eternity, filling up post-it notes with comparitive prices. HOWEVER, I don't have a problem paying more for something good. Sounds contradictory, doesn't it? Like this: I would be more likely to pay $135 for a sweater's worth of silk cashmere on sale than I would be for $77 worth of baby cashmerino. Make sense? Not so much to me either. But who needs rules anyway?

6. I don't like the way that ball-winder balls of yarn look. I wrap my own centre-pull balls around a folded toilet paper tube. And soon around my own nostepinde, thanks to Elia! Yee haw.

7. No itchy yarn! I have sensitive skin and so I get really picky about the yarn I use. (Also never with the acrylic because -- OH the squeaking! *shudder shudder twitch*). (I've mentioned that before).

8. I huh-ate bobbles. I just do.

9. My grandma taught me to knit when I was in that vague haze of ages between 7 and 12. When she went back home I forgot what I was doing. I picked it up periodically, but couldn't figure it out. It wasn't until I worked at a summer camp and saw one of the cooks knitting that I re-learned and it stuck. I didn't finish much of anything then, as I recall. But when I started working here and had all sorts of time to read knitblogs I became... well, a ravenous knitter.

10. I'm, um, thinking about getting a spinning wheel. I have a drop spindle on long-term loan, but I just don't like it. I'm going to a fibre fair (heep! My first!!) in three weeks and I'll check them out then. I start thinking maybe not (esp. what with the taking away from knitting time and all), but then I start looking at roving, and... oh... so pretty! And besides, if I don't like it there's always eBay.

No comments: